• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Could we get back to talking about Thorpe instead of where people live and how to pronounce it please?

Ta 😁

As you aksed, bruv.

I've just realised I didn't go to Thorpe this year. I think it's the first year in memory and would have been unthinkable a few years back. I'm no less excited by rides, so that my localish big park hasn't enticed me in is crazy. I've just go no drive to go and be inevitably disappointed by the mess it has become, dispite some of the hardwear which I still rate.

Exodus is certainly looking exciting, even if I struggle to forgive the obvious wasted opportunity for a decent length ride, and I've no doubt that alone will get me back next year, but I'm just willing the place does something as a whole to have an identity amd direction to go with it. The death of Angry Birds feels like a good sign, but my faith in them going in the right direction from this low point isn't strong.

Looks like Colossus is getting some love. Jet washing & scaffolding - looks like a repaint! Finally the rest of the track will match the small section of new track! Not a personal favourite by any means but it's a TP icon so always nice to see it getting much needed attention. Used to be such a beautiful section of the park! (Photos from Thorpe Park Official on TP Passholders Group)

FB_IMG_1699981608604.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1699981614360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1699981614360.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 39
Great news! I always love a good TLC project! Colossus looked great during its early years with its bright blue track and off-white supports. Hopefully they'll repaint the track back to its original colour, I more than certain they will with the piece of track they replaced last year had the original colour on it.

First Colossus got its original audio back for the start of this season, with some track replaced, now a repaintand a new PLC system! Great knowing that they're looking after one of their most important rides. Now, if only they got some new trains with more leg room and less bulky restraints. If they did, it'd be a favorite of mine at the park.

Last edited:
Really don't feel it should take 2 closed seasons to repaint a ride but good to see it getting done regardless.

Hopefully the control system update will make it slightly more operator friendly, though I guess there's only so much they can do given the poor train design and cramped station

Taziker clad people were on site when me and @MattyH visited in September this year, stood with a management type in Thorpe garb, looking at some paperwork on the bridge over Colossus. Might have been something to do with the replacement track piece, might have been more. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Taziker clad people were on site when me and @MattyH visited in September this year, stood with a management type in Thorpe garb, looking at some paperwork on the bridge over Colossus. Might have been something to do with the replacement track piece, might have been more. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Looks like only one support being replaced this time round.

Also speculation that Thorpe may be dropping 'Park' from their name as they've blurred it out of the logo in the latest updates and confirmed it is an tease of what's to come in terms of the new logo/rebrand. Possibly could be blurring it out bit by bit until the reveal... I did enjoy the Avengers inspired meme of it though 😂

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1699990379146.jpg
    FB_IMG_1699990379146.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 77
Looks like only one support being replaced this time round.

Also speculation that Thorpe may be dropping 'Park' from their name as they've blurred it out of the logo in the latest updates and confirmed it is an tease of what's to come in terms of the new logo/rebrand. Possibly could be blurring it out bit by bit until the reveal... I did enjoy the Avengers inspired meme of it though 😂
I'm guessing it'll be Thorpe Resort. Will always just be "Thorpe" to me though!

Using that meme does imply they'll change back to Thorpe Park and they logo in five years time.
Which when you think about it really does seem on brand for how the parks been managed the past decade or so.

simpsons-mrsparkle.gif[img]

I wonder if they have called it ‘project sparkle’ as a hint into what their new branding will look like? Time will tell

I’m so glad projects like this are happening though as Thorpe has looked extremely tired in the last decade, I really do feel like Merlin are starting to learn their lesson and hopefully constant upkeep is something they will continue and will become a standard in the future without any fanfare.

I think the name project sparkle just means repaint lots of stuff and make it look clean and fresh again.

I wouldnt look into it too much
I may have missed something but who’s looking into it too much? We’re saying that a project like this or Towers Loving Care shouldn’t have to exist. They should be constantly maintaining and keeping things clean. It’s hard to imagine the likes of Europe Park or Tripsdrill announcing that they’re doing a project involving painting/ cleaning what are already very clean and well maintained parks.