• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Coaster Building Contest 2021/22: Winners Declared (Competition Ended 12th May)

At nearly 300ft tall I present the flying machine's revenge, a B&M flying coaster with a capacity of about 1,400pph.
1649771274395.png

Great submission @JAperson; you’ve got some really nice inversions and twists going on there!
Thank you @Poisson for putting the bar so high
I introduce: The Big One 2: Seagull V My Sandwich

Brilliant submission @Thameslink Rail; a phenomenally novel approach to the brief, and I think you’ve executed it well, with some fun elements and really smooth track profiling given the ride type and size (the S&S Free Fly doesn’t really lend itself to a tall ride in terms of easily building a smooth ride, so I think you’ve pulled off a very impressive submission)!

I must say, I’m very surprised and impressed at the originality of this round’s submissions; I was expecting a fair few traditional hypers, but we’ve had some really outside-the-box thinking from everyone here! Well, everyone apart from me, seeing as I built a conventional hyper…

When designing this one I wasn't expecting to be one of the only people to go with a traditional hyper but here we are.

Using the original structure and layout of the big one. Blackpool pleasure beach have now created The Long One. Standing at 216ft, it may not be as tall as Exodus, but it sure is longer
  • Name: The Long One
  • Manufacturer: Mack
  • Type: Hyper Coaster
  • Height: 216ft
  • Biggest Drop: 191ft
  • Speed: 78mph
  • Length: 5,871ft
  • Inversions: 3 (the third one is debatable though)
  • Airtime Count: 13
  • Airtime Duration: 10.9s
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 5.52G
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -2.21G

Video:

When designing this one I wasn't expecting to be one of the only people to go with a traditional hyper but here we are.

Using the original structure and layout of the big one. Blackpool pleasure beach have now created The Long One. Standing at 216ft, it may not be as tall as Exodus, but it sure is longer
  • Name: The Long One
  • Manufacturer: Mack
  • Type: Hyper Coaster
  • Height: 216ft
  • Biggest Drop: 191ft
  • Speed: 78mph
  • Length: 5,871ft
  • Inversions: 3 (the third one is debatable though)
  • Airtime Count: 13
  • Airtime Duration: 10.9s
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 5.52G
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -2.21G

Video:

Awesome submission @Archermav! A nice mix of airtime and inversions, and I like how you’ve stayed quite true to the current ride!

I won't be winning any originally points for this one. But it focuses on using its height for Airtime. First half there's tonnes of floater, second half ejector and some forceful turns. Sadly, the persuit of airtime came at the cost of first drop where I had to put a double down in.

This is The Really Big One. Height is somewhere short of 300ft I think, definitely clear of the required.

Sorry about the video, I rushed it and wanted to include a back row angle as it's quite a different ride from back there.

Name: The Really Big One
Length: 2455mtr
Max G: 6.02g
Min G Force: -1.85g
Airtime count: 16
Airtime duration: 16.88sec

Not sure on capacity but it runs 3 trains of 48 reasonably fluidly with a bit of stacking. I didn't have time to adjust it

Last edited:
I won't be winning any originally points for this one. But it focuses on using its height for Airtime. First half there's tonnes of floater, second half ejector and some forceful turns. Sadly, the persuit of airtime came at the cost of first drop where I had to put a double down in.

This is The Really Big One. Height is somewhere short of 300ft I think, definitely clear of the required.

Sorry about the video, I rushed it and wanted to include a back row angle as it's quite a different ride from back there.

Name: The Really Big One
Length: 2455mtr
Max G: 6.02g
Min G Force: -1.85g
Airtime count: 16
Airtime duration: 16.88sec

Not sure on capacity but it runs 3 trains of 48 reasonably fluidly with a bit of stacking. I didn't have time to adjust it

Awesome submission @Matt.GC; if airtime was what you were seeking, I certainly think you attained your goal, as there’s tons of pops in there!

On a side note, I’d like to apologise to you all in advance as I have a feeling that the beginning of the voting stage may be delayed slightly. I’d like to wait on the final few submissions before we progress further, if that’s OK, unless the members in question choose to opt out of the round of course. If you do, PM me or post in here so that I know and can move forward accordingly.
EDIT: We’re only missing 2 now, in fairness, so we might still make it in time.

Sorry to double post, and apologies for the wait, but I am now able to move on to the voting stage of Round 5! The submission window for Round 5 is now closed.

If you need a reminder of who did which submission, here is each submission for Round 5 with the user who submitted it:
  • Big Mack, a Mack Hyper Coaster by @Connor98:
  • Big One Reloaded, a B&M Hyper Coaster by @Matt N:
  • The Whopper - Sponsored by Burger King, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • The Big One Reloaded, a B&M Flying Coaster by @Burbs:
  • A Trip Into WGT's Mind - The Terrible Experience, a Mack Launch Coaster by @Poisson:
  • The Flying Machine's Revenge, a B&M Flying Coaster by @JAperson:
  • The Big One 2 - Seagull V My Sandwich, an S&S Free Fly by @Thameslink Rail:
  • The Long One, a Mack Hyper Coaster by @Archermav:
  • The Really Big One, an Arrow Hyper Coaster by @Matt.GC:

So those are our Round 5 submissions! If you need a reminder of how voting works; here's a quote of my original post:
Now I hear you asking "well if I'm supposed to vote, how on earth does voting work?". Well don't worry; I'm about to clear that up!

Basically, I would like each of you to post your top 5 layouts, ranked in order. Can I please request that you include the user who created the layout in each of your ranking spots, so I can keep an easier tally of the scores as voting progresses (going off of ride name alone would make things tough, as there are 3 Exoduses). You can include the ride name if you like or you can just post the user if you'd prefer, but if you could put usernames in there for each ranking, that would be terrific! I would also like you to nominate the layouts that you feel are Most Realistic and Most Original; these do not have to be from your top 5. So if I was posting my votes, I'd post something like this:
  1. @UserA
  2. @UserB
  3. @UserC
  4. @UserD
  5. @UserE
  • Most Realistic: @UserX
  • Most Original: @UserY
(Obviously you don't have to post exactly like that, but that's just a template to give you some idea. You can offer some explanation of your choices if you wish, or you can just post the users themselves without any explanation; it's entirely up to you!)

In terms of how the scoring works; each ranking within a list is weighted a certain amount, with a #1 ranking gaining the most points and a #5 ranking gaining the least points. The weightings are as follows:
  • #1 ranking gains 5 points
  • #2 ranking gains 4 points
  • #3 ranking gains 3 points
  • #4 ranking gains 2 points
  • #5 ranking gains 1 point
  • A vote for Most Realistic gains 1 Realism point, and a vote for Most Original gains 1 Originality point. These are logged separately to the overall points.
Before I let us jump into voting, let me just lay out one ground rule; please do not vote for yourself. Please exclude your own layout when casting your vote. I know that sounds harsh, but I feel that allowing votes for your own submission could unfairly skew the results.
EDIT: Just as a memo, a log of both the overall competition scores and the scores for the current round are being kept in my initial post on page 1.
Get voting, everybody! If you have any questions or concerns, don't be afraid to ask!

For the time being, I will keep the voting deadline as the originally planned Tuesday 19th April 2022 at 11:59pm to keep things moving according to schedule, but as we started a day late, I'm happy to extend to Wednesday 20th April 2022 at 11:59pm if anyone feels that they need more time to vote.

Right, then; sorry to triple post, but my votes are now in!

Let me just start by saying; I've been phenomenally impressed by the originality exhibited in this round! In spite of this brief perhaps not being as limiting as some, some people have gone for really out-there submissions that I certainly wouldn't have thought of, which really impressed me! So in that regard; great round, everybody!

Everybody's submissions were great, so if I didn't vote for you, please don't be insulted. With that in mind, my picks are as follows:
  1. @Archermav
  2. @Matt.GC
  3. @RicketyCricket
  4. @Connor98
  5. @Poisson
Great round, everybody; an excellent way to close off the traditional stage of the competition! (As I've been hyping up recently, a bonus round awaits after this one... all will be revealed when the voting stage for Round 5 has ended!)

Sorry to quadruple post, but I just wanted to remind you; you have exactly 3 days and 8 hours left to vote for your favourites!

Sorry to quadruple post, but I just wanted to remind you; you have exactly 3 days and 8 hours left to vote for your favourites!
The ship has sailed at this point but Matt, there's really no need for these arbitrary reminders. :)

The ship has sailed at this point but Matt, there's really no need for these arbitrary reminders. :)
Sorry… I just like to remind people in case they’d forgotten. I know I’d certainly appreciate a reminder in these circumstances, but if it’s not appreciated in this instance, I can stop.

@Poisson
That creation is insane but amazing you managed to get it to work

I'm just disappointed I didn't have enough time to make it smooth. Took almost an hour to make the 2 big drops work without G force deaths, entire creation was about 3 hours tops.

If any more of you wish to vote, only 1 day, 2 hours and 45 minutes remain.

Or 2 days, 2 hours and 45 minutes if any of you would like an extension.

Sorry to double post, but I just wanted to ask; would you guys like a day’s extension to the voting stage, as we did start a day late, or would you like to just press on with the next round at the end of today?

I just wanted to ask because I notice that we’ve had fairly few takers for voting thus far (only 3 out of 11 contestants have voted), and I didn’t want to press on and have people saying to me “I wasn’t able to vote for Round 5, Matt!” because I didn’t give them enough time. From my end, I’d rather offer out the extension and you reject it than not offer out the extension and have you guys lacking time to vote (if you wish to vote, of course).

The problem isn't time, the problem is that it is very difficult to rank them.
Ah, fair enough! Is this round particularly difficult to rank compared to the others, or are you talking more generally?

Ignore my message above, then… if no one says anything to the contrary, I’ll just press on with the bonus round this evening with whatever rankings I have by then.