• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Planning 2023/24: Information, advice and questions!

Hello

Planning a trip over to EP in the middle of August. I wanted to stay on site but cost and availability is an issue. I've booked (with free cancellation) the Hotel AM Park right by the park entrance. Anyone stayed here before? Is it good? It's not cheap either but with a 4 year old, I don't wanna have to walk to far to get in and out of the park each day.

Also any good food options in Rust would also be appreciated.
Am Park is absolutely fine, and as you said right next to the entrance. It's a more expensive option to a lot of places in the town for that reason, but it does have air conditioning which is a must in August these days. I've not stayed myself, but not heard any complaints from those I know who have.

As for places to eat, you're a short 5-10 minute walk away from Silver Lake Saloon if you want some American/Western food. You can book this in the Europa-Park app (ensure you do as it's always busy!). It can be quite loud with the live entertainment in there, but it's great fun and fab food. So depending on how your 4 year old is with louder environments, that'd be my first shout.

There's a snack bar place as part of Am Park which is handy to grab something if you're not fancying a full meal after a busy day on park.

Elsewhere, you're an even shorter walk around the corner from the hotel and over the bridge to the town centre. You'll find a pizza restaurant called Garibaldi there, along with a newer restaurant called "The Chicken" which some TSTers have visited and recommend. There's also a few other restaurants such as Casa Rustica for Italian stuff or Ochsen for traditional fayre. Just like the accommodation, there's not really a bad place in Rust to eat, just with you visiting over summer book a reservation if possible to save disappointment :).

I’ve heard mixed things about AM Park, however most of those were pre-renovation. Location-wise you’re about 60 seconds walk from front door to turnstiles, so it is excellent in that regard.

I’d agree with Craig on food, and add a recommendation for the Aroma Chinese buffet restaurant next to the park hotels. If you exit the park by the hotel entrance, it’s only a couple of minutes walk to get to.

Anyone got any tips on how effective the single rider queues are and when to join/not join them?

Going on my own in mid August for 2 days mid-week Wednesday/Thursday but obviously peak summer season so still expecting it to be busy, especially with a major new attraction

I went at a similar time of year several years ago. What I found during that trip was that it was hard to tell how long and how fast the SRQs were moving from the SRQ entrances. On a few occasions I just bailed from the SRQ and used the main queues instead because the SRQ lines were huge and seemed to barely move.

Any rough guidelines for main queue lengths or time of day to use/not use the SRQs?

It can be difficult to tell sometimes, not least because the main queues at EP generally move very quickly. The one single rider queue that I do recommend is Arthur's; the 4 across seating means that it is often a fair bit shorter than the main queue.

Voltron's single rider queue has been pretty long since it opened, I've not done single rider though so cannot comment on how fast it moves.

If the queue for CanCan is long then again, single rider can be a decent shout.

I'm not sure there's really a precise science for predicting single rider queues and when best to use them. Best is to make judgements on the day.

SRQs that require a bit of commitment in terms of distance from entrance to station include Wodan, Voletarium and Blue Fire. Arthur and Can Can aren’t too bad. Voltron is easiest to see from the first turn in the queue.

As a very rough rule of thumb, SRQs tend to be quieter early in the day. As the day wears on, people tend to notice their existence more and you’ll often see kids using them whilst their parents are relaxing.

My experience late May - Voltron SRQ was 5-20 mins between 9am and 11am, mainly as people are being directed away from the plaza. I would not bother from early afternoon, it moved slower than the main queue.

As for the others they were manageable and effective at all times I tried. It should be obvious whether it is quicker on joining and, if not, turn around! I didn’t use Voletarium srq as it was walk on when I went on it.

I would say though queue normally for Wodan at least once (and also guarantee yourself front row one time at least) if you haven’t done so before!

My experience late May - Voltron SRQ was 5-20 mins between 9am and 11am, mainly as people are being directed away from the plaza. I would not bother from early afternoon, it moved slower than the main queue.

As for the others they were manageable and effective at all times I tried. It should be obvious whether it is quicker on joining and, if not, turn around! I didn’t use Voletarium srq as it was walk on when I went on it.

I would say though queue normally for Wodan at least once (and also guarantee yourself front row one time at least) if you haven’t done so before!
I found the Voltron single rider worked quite well, but the maximum I would wait would be if it’s out the main large room into the smaller room then it’s too long.

That of course is if the main queue line is pretty much full.

Hi everyone!

So glad I found this forum, the amount of cool info I’ve pulled from it is fantastic.

I’m staying at EP next week as a young family of 4, kids 7 and 5 (who are saying they’re 8 and 6), none of us have been before, and we’re doing 7 nights, 4 in Alcazar then 3 in Bell Rock (hope I don’t regret the hotel switch, wanted to check out two whilst there), first day arrival about 2pm so chill day, then a mix of 3 days EP, two days Rulantica, and chill days.

Most of the well known advice I know already, I’ve spent a silly amount of time learning stuff, got every ride in my mind, shows, things to see etc, whole map memorised, still got a few questions tho if I may!

1) how busy do the hotel pools get? I’m assuming it’s not too bad as most people staying at hotel would be either in the park or Rulantica, so on our chill days, would we expect it to be rammed still in the pools? I hate a rammed pool. My missus hates them more. I know where they all are and that we can use them all.

2) looking at the Rulantica terms, they say swimming goggles aren’t allowed anywhere, only glasses. Must be ignored surely? My kids will really miss them in the Rulantica pools.

3) how mad am I to drag my family to the main entrance on the first day to have a look around? I’m assuming we can’t use the monorail to get to that end as a hotel guest that hasn’t used up one of our day admission yet. Kids are young, will have been travelling all morning, I see the EP shuttle bus doesn’t go to that end of the resort, so plan was to take the Rust bus (is it free?) all the way round the houses which finally arrives at the main entrance, have a wander there, wander round camp resort, then get Rust Bus back which would then be a couple minutes journey as the main hotel stop is straight after the main entrance stop.

Google maps showing a 45min walk through Rust from Alcazar to main entrance, further to Camp, we aren’t shy of walking (else wouldn’t be going EP) but if there’s a free bus option we’ll save our legs for the next day plus we’ll be walking around entrance and to camp resort, plus we get to see around Rust on that journey there as it goes all over first between hotel and entrance.

Wanted to see main entrance as it looks cool also camp resort, then as hotel guests we wouldn’t see them both again for remainder of stay.

That the best plan? Or that weird / mad?

4) If I want to take the 271 bus on another day near main entrance to “Kappel” ( funny world for couple hours on chill day) am I fine doing what us Brits do best and rockin up on bus asking for the tickets in English cash in hand and the driver will sort it all out for me with me doing little thinking?

Thanks for all the info everyone, I love being prepared!

Hi everyone!

So glad I found this forum, the amount of cool info I’ve pulled from it is fantastic.

I’m staying at EP next week as a young family of 4, kids 7 and 5 (who are saying they’re 8 and 6), none of us have been before, and we’re doing 7 nights, 4 in Alcazar then 3 in Bell Rock (hope I don’t regret the hotel switch, wanted to check out two whilst there), first day arrival about 2pm so chill day, then a mix of 3 days EP, two days Rulantica, and chill days.

Most of the well known advice I know already, I’ve spent a silly amount of time learning stuff, got every ride in my mind, shows, things to see etc, whole map memorised, still got a few questions tho if I may!

1) how busy do the hotel pools get? I’m assuming it’s not too bad as most people staying at hotel would be either in the park or Rulantica, so on our chill days, would we expect it to be rammed still in the pools? I hate a rammed pool. My missus hates them more. I know where they all are and that we can use them all.

2) looking at the Rulantica terms, they say swimming goggles aren’t allowed anywhere, only glasses. Must be ignored surely? My kids will really miss them in the Rulantica pools.

3) how mad am I to drag my family to the main entrance on the first day to have a look around? I’m assuming we can’t use the monorail to get to that end as a hotel guest that hasn’t used up one of our day admission yet. Kids are young, will have been travelling all morning, I see the EP shuttle bus doesn’t go to that end of the resort, so plan was to take the Rust bus (is it free?) all the way round the houses which finally arrives at the main entrance, have a wander there, wander round camp resort, then get Rust Bus back which would then be a couple minutes journey as the main hotel stop is straight after the main entrance stop.

Google maps showing a 45min walk through Rust from Alcazar to main entrance, further to Camp, we aren’t shy of walking (else wouldn’t be going EP) but if there’s a free bus option we’ll save our legs for the next day plus we’ll be walking around entrance and to camp resort, plus we get to see around Rust on that journey there as it goes all over first between hotel and entrance.

Wanted to see main entrance as it looks cool also camp resort, then as hotel guests we wouldn’t see them both again for remainder of stay.

That the best plan? Or that weird / mad?

4) If I want to take the 271 bus on another day near main entrance to “Kappel” ( funny world for couple hours on chill day) am I fine doing what us Brits do best and rockin up on bus asking for the tickets in English cash in hand and the driver will sort it all out for me with me doing little thinking?

Thanks for all the info everyone, I love being prepared!
I'll try and answer these as best I can for you!
  1. I've only done the hotel pools once (Santa Isabel pool earlier this year) and it was not busy at all. I am sure they do get busier than when I did it, especially during the summer, but I cannot imagine they get rammed. Especially during the day when a lot of people will be in the park.
  2. I've known people take goggles in to Rulantica, so that should be fine
  3. The Rust Bus is free. It's not a 45 minute walk from Alcazar to the main entrance though, more like 20 minutes. So if you are not feeling too tired you could walk there and get the bus back (it's a nice walk through Rust, just follow the main road). Certainly not a mad plan though, not sure what your thoughts are for food but you could time it to have dinner at Silver Lake Saloon in the early evening (highly recommended)
  4. I've not got that bus before, but I think the answer is yes, the bus should take cash. No idea how good or not the bus drivers English is likely to be, but I am sure they'll know what you mean!
Hope that helps, and have a brilliant time! Looks like you've given yourselves plenty of time to enjoy the whole Resort, which is great.

I'll try and answer these as best I can for you!
  1. I've only done the hotel pools once (Santa Isabel pool earlier this year) and it was not busy at all. I am sure they do get busier than when I did it, especially during the summer, but I cannot imagine they get rammed. Especially during the day when a lot of people will be in the park.
  2. I've known people take goggles in to Rulantica, so that should be fine
  3. The Rust Bus is free. It's not a 45 minute walk from Alcazar to the main entrance though, more like 20 minutes. So if you are not feeling too tired you could walk there and get the bus back (it's a nice walk through Rust, just follow the main road). Certainly not a mad plan though, not sure what your thoughts are for food but you could time it to have dinner at Silver Lake Saloon in the early evening (highly recommended)
  4. I've not got that bus before, but I think the answer is yes, the bus should take cash. No idea how good or not the bus drivers English is likely to be, but I am sure they'll know what you mean!
Hope that helps, and have a brilliant time! Looks like you've given yourselves plenty of time to enjoy the whole Resort, which is great.
Thanks so much me duckeh for the ‘elp! I’m lesta too, but you’re Leicestershire, so maybeh you’re in a posh bit?!

I’m in Syston heh..

Anyway, thanks for the tips, now you’ve said it’s more like 20mins I might do that instead. With the free rust bus, do you just get on say nothing and get off where you want, as much as you want? That’s cool if that’s the case.

Was considering Silver Lake saloon as the first dinner, but, my kids, they aren’t bothered about a sit down dinner, and let’s say I book it for 7pm on arrival day, I don’t want to drag them out the pool at say 6, when they are happy to grab something quick. Say I book it later, cos it’s arrival day they might be instead knackered by 6, and great if they are they can have an early night before I chuck ma girl on voltron next day (just kidding, got a great plan to casually do all gentle kiddie rides first to build up to it)..

Is the place bolted to Silver Lake Saloon just a walk in place? Where’s the best place to grab a non-bookable burger or similar in the resort in evening near Alcazar?

Also, how’s the room service? I was thinking first night let the kids stay in pool as long as they want then just wing dinners with snacks / quick grab stuff like pizza and if all else fails I rely on the room service so we’re rested for the first big day. If I order it from Alcazar, is it from the menu of the main restaurant there, or is it just standard burger n chips type stuff. I know there’s an up charge which I don’t mind.

Planning on nipping to Lidl too first day to get loads of junkie type stuff and water (on olideh so don’t judge)

Cheers!!

Edit:

Also something really bugging me.. why did the EP hotel app have a countdown for my stay on the home screen, which is cool, then it turned from 1 month 1 day to “sleep xx times” to disappearing entirely? Paranoid…

I’ve used the hotel pools plenty of times and never seen them that busy, you can also use any of them I believe, bell rock is by far my favourite, and the one attached to Santa Isabel/alcazar is also really nice.

Also to note they do have lockers but you have to pay for them. But to be honest if you are in the hotel you’ll probably have nothing really with you, I usually just put my stuff on a sub lounger outside near where I’m swimming. Never had any issues with that.

Also as Rob says the walk to the entrance really isn’t bad, you are best to walk through the village of Rust rather than go round the main road as I’m sure that’s longer and not as interesting. You can also get the monorail as a hotel guest but you’ll enter the park from the inside at the entrance.

In terms of food there aren’t that many quick grab options, their is pizzas available I’m at colloseo which you can’t book, and the bar at bell rock also does burgers and stuff but they aren’t too cheap now. There are quite a few places in the village as well which do food, so could be worth researching some of those. Of course depending on park hours you could also grab food on park fairly late and not need anything in the evening. There’s also a couple of supermarkets near bell rock.

Thanks so much me duckeh for the ‘elp! I’m lesta too, but you’re Leicestershire, so maybeh you’re in a posh bit?!

I’m in Syston heh..

Anyway, thanks for the tips, now you’ve said it’s more like 20mins I might do that instead. With the free rust bus, do you just get on say nothing and get off where you want, as much as you want? That’s cool if that’s the case.

Was considering Silver Lake saloon as the first dinner, but, my kids, they aren’t bothered about a sit down dinner, and let’s say I book it for 7pm on arrival day, I don’t want to drag them out the pool at say 6, when they are happy to grab something quick. Say I book it later, cos it’s arrival day they might be instead knackered by 6, and great if they are they can have an early night before I chuck ma girl on voltron next day (just kidding, got a great plan to casually do all gentle kiddie rides first to build up to it)..

Is the place bolted to Silver Lake Saloon just a walk in place? Where’s the best place to grab a non-bookable burger or similar in the resort in evening near Alcazar?

Also, how’s the room service? I was thinking first night let the kids stay in pool as long as they want then just wing dinners with snacks / quick grab stuff like pizza and if all else fails I rely on the room service so we’re rested for the first big day. If I order it from Alcazar, is it from the menu of the main restaurant there, or is it just standard burger n chips type stuff. I know there’s an up charge which I don’t mind.

Planning on nipping to Lidl too first day to get loads of junkie type stuff and water (on olideh so don’t judge)

Cheers!!

Edit:

Also something really bugging me.. why did the EP hotel app have a countdown for my stay on the home screen, which is cool, then it turned from 1 month 1 day to “sleep xx times” to disappearing entirely? Paranoid…
I'm not a million miles from Syston!

Never actually used the Rust bus but yes, you just get on and maybe press the buzzer when you want to get off.

The food place next to Silver Lake Saloon is walk up, so you can just grab food from there without a reservation. Getting quick/snack food elsewhere on Resort away from the restaurants can be a bit of a challenge. Pizzeria La Romantica in Hotel Colosseo is a walk-up restaurant so a good shout for one night. Most of the bars do food these days with Spirit of St Louis having the largest selection (burger, pulled pork burger, club sandwich, steak) but it is quite expensive. Other bars do things like toasted sandwiches or ice creams etc. As @djtruefitt says though, it could be worth checking out some of the places in Rust if you want some quick and easy food. They're all pretty good!

Never done room service so cannot comment on that I'm afraid.

I’ve used the hotel pools plenty of times and never seen them that busy, you can also use any of them I believe, bell rock is by far my favourite, and the one attached to Santa Isabel/alcazar is also really nice.

Also to note they do have lockers but you have to pay for them. But to be honest if you are in the hotel you’ll probably have nothing really with you, I usually just put my stuff on a sub lounger outside near where I’m swimming. Never had any issues with that.

Also as Rob says the walk to the entrance really isn’t bad, you are best to walk through the village of Rust rather than go round the main road as I’m sure that’s longer and not as interesting. You can also get the monorail as a hotel guest but you’ll enter the park from the inside at the entrance.

In terms of food there aren’t that many quick grab options, their is pizzas available I’m at colloseo which you can’t book, and the bar at bell rock also does burgers and stuff but they aren’t too cheap now. There are quite a few places in the village as well which do food, so could be worth researching some of those. Of course depending on park hours you could also grab food on park fairly late and not need anything in the evening. There’s also a couple of supermarkets near bell rock.
Thanks a lot mate for the tips:

Locker/dump stuff lounger tip very handy;

Can’t use monorail to get to main entrance first day as I assume it means I’m using a days admission?

Defo will walk rust way not main road way, thanks, saw that on the map;

On park days we are looking at eating all day whatever we want, there seems so many cool options in park, then not bother with proper sit down meals in evening, like you say

Anyone know about room service? Also how much carnage should I expect for breakfast?

With the young kids, it’s all well and good getting them up early for breakfast to take advantage of the early access to park, but unless you’re expecting them to stay in the park for 11 hours+, you’ve really got to decide, you want early morning, or you want evening? So my plan is, let them lie in, wake up normally, late breakfast, when not carnage, get in park say 9-9:30, scumbag masses at entrance won’t have made it to back of park yet (lolz only kiddin) plus hotel guest masses will have moved on, so might work well? Going Austria/Forest/Arthur/England/Ireland/Germany should be at Voletarium best time around early afternoon. Then work way up more hardcore side Italy Switzerland/France (should be as empty as it’ll get by this time) Greece up that side ending back at hotel. Get whole family on Wodan as the final ride.

So late start, late breakfast, no mass from front, no mass from back, stay til closing, room service if needed, then bed?

Decent noob plan??

Edit: with my plan, putting aside Baaa Express, you’re building intensity on the coasters for the kids.. Enzian>Arthur>Baaa>Bob>Blitz>Can>Peg>Poseidon>Blue>Wodan

Will leave Voltron and Mir for second day I think.. supersplash is a water ride in my non-RCT fiend mind

Last edited:
Can’t use monorail to get to main entrance first day as I assume it means I’m using a days admission?
Yup, there’s an entrance turnstile into the monorail at the hotels, so you’d need to use a day’s admission to get to main entrance. So it’ll be a walk through the village for that one if you weren’t going on park. As others have pointed out, it’s an easy leisurely walk though!
Anyone know about room service? Also how much carnage should I expect for breakfast?
Not used room service myself, but it is available with a few things on there, subject to the usual tray charge (£7 ish I think). I second grabbing something at the many restaurants in the town though if needed. Exit through the main entrance and as well as Silverlake and the adjacent snack place, there’s a snack bar type place at Hotel Am Park, then a walk a little further into town for pizza, chicken and a few other places.

On the subject of the bus to Kappel Grafenhausen, the 271 is a shuttle from Strasbourg so only runs to the park early morning and then back toward Strasbourg at park close. It’s not an all day service, and I’m unsure if they even take passengers back, despite what Google says. There’s certainly no timetabled times on their official leaflet.

Even if it did run, you’d be looking at a single bus to Kappel at 09:30 ish, then not getting one back until 6pm ish - a long day at Funny World! The bus you actually want is the number 113 which doesn’t run from the park entrance, but from the town hall in Rust round the corner. You can find a timetable here, and a journey planner with a map over on the bwegt website. The stops are already in that link (Rust Rathaus to Kappel Rathaus), just edit your dates :). Funny World is a 10 minute walk or so from the bus stop.

I’m assuming you’re all going, so the bus would be covered under a 5 person Ortenaukarte which you can purchase in advance. That would get everyone there and back under an all day pass for €15.60, which is cheaper than buying individual single tickets.

You can buy these on the DB Navigator app, then you just show the ticket on your phone when you board. Follow the instructions in the spoilers tags below (lots of screenshots!)

Download the DB navigator app and register for an account

Choose “Transport Association Tickets” toward the bottom of the app in the Tickets & Offers section (you might need to scroll across)

IMG_0225.jpeg

From the list of Transport associations, choose Ortenau

IMG_0226.jpeg

Click on Go To Ticket Selection on the next page

IMG_0227.jpeg

Select “Ortenaukarte 5 Pers. 2. Kl.” from the list of day tickets

IMG_0228.jpeg

Enter your departure and arrival points along with the day you want the pass for (this is an all day ticket, but DB asks for them anyway!)

IMG_0229.jpeg

Once purchased, your ticket will show in the Journeys section of the DB app. Show the ticket to the driver on boarding :)

On the monorail to park entrance point, there’s a couple of bits to keep in mind. You don’t need an entrance ticket to use the monorail outside of park hours, so you can jump on it to get to Silver Lake after the park has closed without needing a ticket - just jump on it at the hotel station. The other thing is that on your first day you can get a ticket for free entrance to the park for the last hour of opening, in which case you can jump on the monorail earlier. Just ask for the ticket when you check in.

As for the Rust bus, if it’s your first time at Europa then it’s definitely worth jumping aboard as you’ll get a nice tour of the town and the Rulantica/Kronasar area for free. It’s a doddle to use and pretty much always on time. It does stop at Rulantica for around 5 minutes so bear that in mind for timings.

As others have said, cheap quick service food is tricky in the hotels. The closest thing is Bar Colossseo who sell some small sandwiches, but they’re not open until 8 and it also doesn’t open every day. The outlet next to Silver Lake does takeaway pizzas and there’s also an indoor sit down section selling texmex. Again though the indoor section doesn’t open every day so check opening times for your visit. Another option is that there are several pizza vending machines in the village where you can grab a hot pizza for around €10.

Could anyone recommend a strategy for an evening at Rulantica? We've got the 4.30pm entry (hotel guests) and planning to stay til close. I'm not expecting to get on all the slides (I've heard about long queues as standard, for slides as well as food) but would like to work out a plan to get on the main attractions, and explore a bit. (fwiw - all adults, no kids.)

We're not visiting Hyggedal, but I would like to try the Snorri VR!

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend a strategy for an evening at Rulantica? We've got the 4.30pm entry (hotel guests) and planning to stay til close. I'm not expecting to get on all the slides (I've heard about long queues as standard, for slides as well as food) but would like to work out a plan to get on the main attractions, and explore a bit. (fwiw - all adults, no kids.)

We're not visiting Hyggedal, but I would like to try the Snorri VR!
When ever I’ve been it’s always got quiet in the evening, so you’ll probably be able to do the majority of slides, some never have queues anyway, it’s only the big large slides that tend to have queues. If you can just stay in the pool right to the end, as they won’t kick you out the pool until ride close. Then go and get changed etc.

The outdoor rapids is really nice at night, so worth doing that later on.

On the monorail to park entrance point, there’s a couple of bits to keep in mind. You don’t need an entrance ticket to use the monorail outside of park hours, so you can jump on it to get to Silver Lake after the park has closed without needing a ticket - just jump on it at the hotel station. The other thing is that on your first day you can get a ticket for free entrance to the park for the last hour of opening, in which case you can jump on the monorail earlier. Just ask for the ticket when you check in.

As for the Rust bus, if it’s your first time at Europa then it’s definitely worth jumping aboard as you’ll get a nice tour of the town and the Rulantica/Kronasar area for free. It’s a doddle to use and pretty much always on time. It does stop at Rulantica for around 5 minutes so bear that in mind for timings.

As others have said, cheap quick service food is tricky in the hotels. The closest thing is Bar Colossseo who sell some small sandwiches, but they’re not open until 8 and it also doesn’t open every day. The outlet next to Silver Lake does takeaway pizzas and there’s also an indoor sit down section selling texmex. Again though the indoor section doesn’t open every day so check opening times for your visit. Another option is that there are several pizza vending machines in the village where you can grab a hot pizza for around €10.
Mate, thank you so much for the advice, the two monorail ideas are great, rust bus info is very helpful, and the quick grab stuff fab too!!! Cheers! Can’t wait!