2019 General Election Poll and Discussion

Discussion in 'Corner Coffee' started by Rob, 31st Oct 2019.

?

Which party will you vote for at the 2019 General Election?

1. Brexit Party

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Conservatives

15 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Green Party

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Labour

42 vote(s)
    47.2%
  5. Liberal Democrats

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. SNP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. UKIP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Not Voting/Can't Vote

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. Not Yet Decided

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

Corbyn was a bit powderpuff tonight in the BBC debate. Will not have gained many new fans. This was a big chance for him to land some blows on Boris and he failed.

2. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Thought the complete opposite, although Boris mainly inflicted the damage on himself.

Boris completely devoid of ideas, bringing every question back to Brexit (tedious) and attacking Corbyn rather than asking any questions directed at him. He bumbled aimlessly through his answers to several questions. He was rude, constantly interrupting and exceeding his allotted time.

Corbyn was good humoured, certainly landed a couple of blows. Not a landslide victory by any means but I think he will have won over more people in that debate than Boris did.

3. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

I will have to respectfully disagree. I doubt either party will have won or lost any voters there, which is likely good news for Boris but probably not so good for Corbyn. We will find out more on Thursday/Friday :)

D4n likes this.
  4. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    If someone is questioning whether freedom of movement is a good idea, I don't think that's xenophobia. Feels like another lazy grab for the language of extreme that undermines any point being made.

Or... work in our hospitals, look after our grandparents, deliver our pizzas etc etc.

IanSR and speedy like this.
  5. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

I wouldn't have chosen that word personally, rather I used it in direct response to the "I'm not xenophobic" post. It is extreme sounding, though if we're going by the Google definition "having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries", there are plenty of replies here that fit the bill.

D4n and Rick like this.
  6. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

now news reporting that the document lies peddled by Labour that Tories wanting to sell off the NHS were from Russian interference into our election
    :tinfoil:

7. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Does the report suggests that Russian sources may have leaked the documents in order to cause political chaos, not that the document itself is a fake or "lies"?

Last edited: 7th Dec 2019
    MattyH likes this.
  8. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    If only the Conservatives would release the report into Russian interference, maybe that would help clear up what's going on. Funny how that's not happened.

9. bluesonichd

looks like the document is real but Russia meddling in other countries politics.. again :rolleyes:

10. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    All countries meddle in other countries' politics. It's called "diplomacy".

IanSR likes this.
  11. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I still don't see how having a general election based solely around brexit is more democratic than a second referendum, except as pretext for the con-men to get their society destroying policies through

I'm baffled that there was such an uproar around the lack of social care a couple years ago, and now they've not even bothered to put anything about it in their manifesto and people are still lapping it up because "hur dur boris funny man, corbin bad man"

Lurker, IanSR, jon81uk and 1 other person like this.
  12. bluesonichd

its fine, Labour will never get into power. we are all safe

BarryZola likes this.
  13. bluesonichd

For the love of Wardley please don’t let this man into number 10

“There is no anti Semitism in our party”

It’s going to be Germany 1941 repeated :(

14. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    You'd almost think Boris Johnson is whiter than white.

Instead of throwing dirt, perhaps you'd like to tell us about the Conservative policies that you think will improve this country?

MattyH, Stuie and speedy like this.
  15. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I’m not sure anything can be said that will change your opinion but I work in the NHS and the tories have been carving it up and selling bits for the last 9 years. This will only continue and if you think otherwise you are seriously misinformed.

it won’t be one big sale, it’s death by 1000 cuts. The sad thing is you can believe Tory spin all you like but when people who work within the service are telling you the service is being killed by the Tory’s, then ignore at your own peril.

you will miss it when it’s gone, because suddenly your health will become a hell of a lot more expensive.

MattyH, Alsty, RoyJess and 2 others like this.
  16. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    speedy likes this.
  17. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

They're also pledging to remove £24 million a year from autism/learning disability funding, and putting £14 million a year towards voter ID.

18. bluesonichd

19. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    ^ Incredibly troubling, but probably another one of those instances where the candidate gets a pass because of the colour rosette she is wearing - that's not a criticism of the Tories, that happens all over the place - 'My guy can do no wrong'.

On the back of that story, it will be interesting to see how things pan out in Hastings & Rye (Amber Rudd's former seat), the Tories are defending a majority of only 346 in a 55% Leave vote area. The Labour candidate who narrowly came second in 2017 is standing again.

At the moment, the Tories are odds on to win at 2/7 with Labour at 5/2. If Remain voters subscribe to the @RoyJess view of tactical voting, you'd think the Tories probably will secure the seat again.

@bluesonichd there is merit in some of the examples that you post, but your unwillingness to see there are issues on all sides just makes you come across as a crazed Russian election tinkerer living in the box room at their mum's house.

Alsty, Dar and speedy like this.
  20. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

For goodness sake you can have the political opinion you like but try and look at facts rather than propaganda.

The left has always had a small but significant population who take a general hate of Israel policy towards Palestine and extend this dislike of Israel to a dislike of Judaism. It’s wrong and it needs to be tackled. And labour certainly didn’t do enough at the outset to deal with it.

The Tories also have institutional racism imbedded (windrush for example) which gets more and more extreme the further right you go. It’s also inherently homophobic and discriminatory to disabled people.

For sure call out racism in the left but don’t pretend the right is a paragon of tolerance because you make a fool of yourself.

jon81uk, D4n, Alsty and 6 others like this.