• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

A quick reminder for those who are just posting the update on Hex shared by Alton Towers, please do not just post the video with no context at all, that is not useful for users who are not able to watch the video at present. Videos shared on the forum should include a bit of a summary of the video contents, it is not a race to be the first to post it!

It is a 13 minute video, so take time to watch it and then feel free to post a more meaningful contribution. Thank you! I've not watched it all myself yet!

EDIT:

I've just finished watching the video, so here is a summary of what Bianca shared with us:
  • Completely new AV system, queue and ride. Soundtrack has been remastered
  • New show control system
  • Completely refurbished lighting system with LEDs, extra 200 lights
  • Updated special effects, smoke machines and haze. Generator spark effect re-done
  • Story not changed
  • Worked with Vekoma to custom manufacture parts to replace slew bearings
  • Reliability has been the main issue, and ensuring this going forward is critical to a re-opening
  • Likely to be an autumn opening, had originally been hoping for summer
  • Theming needs to be taken off to carry out work on the ride mechanism, which takes time

Last edited:
I’ve just watched the update and they’ve put in way more work than I was anticipating they were going to do. They’ve clearly had more work on the actual ride than they anticipated but seems like they’ve put extra work in rather than twiddling their thumbs waiting for parts/solutions.

Looks like they’re aiming for a scarefest opening in my inexperienced opinion.

I have to say, I don’t think Bianca gets enough credit for how good she is at presenting these kinds of videos. I got the chance to chat with her on Nemesis open day and the pride she has in the park is very obvious, she really wants to make it the best it can be !

With regards to the video, what immediately stood out to me is that the first pre show seems to have now been sectioned off from the queue, an interesting choice but perhaps allows for better batching and ensures people don’t miss the first part of the story

Last edited:
Hmmm… scheduled upkeep and deep maintenance really shouldn’t be seen as a “favour” to paying guests which is kind of how it sounded when Bianca said “we could have kept it closed”.

The focus on reliability is welcome but is billy basic for the in service period of a piece of kit. Whole life costs of equipment are around 20:80 acquisition to support. I hope Bianca will be turning her sights on other rides so that future upkeep and deep maintenance will be better planned and cycled across the park so that overall availability is maintained.

The cynic in me would say it’s a nice way of basically giving the disappointing news Hex won’t be reopening soon…

However the level of detail and openness that’s in the video is above and beyond what would be expected so really well done to them.

I have to say, I don’t think Bianca gets enough credit for how good she is at presenting these kinds of videos. I got the chance to chat with her on Nemesis open day and the pride she has in the park is very obvious, she really wants to make it the best it can be !
The presenting has a distinctly CBeebies style to it. Not a dig, it’s just very children’s tv presenter style with the exaggerated “come follow me” and so on.

I hope the changes are good but I fully imagine this will be open just in time for Scarefest and no sooner.

The presenting has a distinctly CBeebies style to it. Not a dig, it’s just very children’s tv presenter style with the exaggerated “come follow me” and so on.

I hope the changes are good but I fully imagine this will be open just in time for Scarefest and no sooner.
In fairness though, if you're not a natural for speaking to camera or you've not had training then the style is forgivable. Put me in front of a camera doing that and I'd look more wooden than a piece of 4 by 2 timber!

Had a feeling it would probably open around Scarefest time, so not surprised. Glad they've kept the story and knew that they couldn't change it as it is so well-loved, and very excited about the awesome soundtrack being remastered! 😍

And Bianca really is a breath of fresh air, it is evident that she really cares about the park and it's older attractions.

A quick reminder for those who are just posting the update on Hex shared by Alton Towers, please do not just post the video with no context at all, that is not useful for users who are not able to watch the video at present. Videos shared on the forum should include a bit of a summary of the video contents, it is not a race to be the first to post it!

It is a 13 minute video, so take time to watch it and then feel free to post a more meaningful contribution. Thank you! I've not watched it all myself yet!

EDIT:

I've just finished watching the video, so here is a summary of what Bianca shared with us:
  • Completely new AV system, queue and ride. Soundtrack has been remastered
  • New show control system
  • Completely refurbished lighting system with LEDs, extra 200 lights
  • Updated special effects, smoke machines and haze. Generator spark effect re-done
  • Story not changed
  • Worked with Vekoma to custom manufacture parts to replace slew bearings
  • Reliability has been the main issue, and ensuring this going forward is critical to a re-opening
  • Likely to be an autumn opening, had originally been hoping for summer
  • Theming needs to be taken off to carry out work on the ride mechanism, which takes time

The comments were coming soon after.

Give me a chance

And I don’t believe they mentioned replacing the control system too?

I love this update.

I'm so excited for the ride, it's such a special attraction and I'm so glad they've given it the attention it deserves. We're booked to go in October and I can't wait to take my daughter on.

I'm optimistic for the future of the park in general. This is an excellent step in the right direction and, as long as they get the budget to continue on this trajectory, I think we could see some really positive changes.

I also really like this open style of communication, it shows a lot of care and respect for the audience, and it's a lot more interesting to watch.

In the screenshot TS have posted, it looks like there is only 1 entrance to the cinema room now with the railings directing you to it. I wonder if the initial introduction that took place at the batching area now takes place in the cinema room before the film? Or is this a different part of the ride?

1719572228159.png